As America's first city, established in 1565, St. Augustine is rich with culture and history. The city plans to honor the 450th anniversary of its establishment for five days this Labor Day weekend, beginning September 4. There will be dozens of events held throughout the weekend, including live entertainment, street festivals, and a cake cutting ceremony.
Amidst all the festivities, however, law enforcement also has plans to increase DUI patrols in St. Augustine. During such an exciting time, it can be easy to get caught up in the moment and allow yourself to get carried away. It is important to remember that the consequences for doing so far outweigh the brief enjoyment you may experience.
Four Tips to Avoid Getting Hit with a DUI Charge
Keeping yourself out of the watchful eyes of police officers doesn't mean you can't also fully partake in Celebrate 450! It's simply about having a plan in place that allows you to participate safely and the following tips can help you do just that.
- Limit your consumption of alcohol: Show up to the festival with the maximum number of drinks you'll allow yourself already firmly established. By doing so, you can avoid the temptation that comes when your friends start pushing you to have "just one more."
- Appoint a designated driver: Just because you aren't going overboard on the alcohol does not mean you can safely get behind the wheel. Choose someone who will refrain from drinking – period – and can get you to and from your destinations risk-free.
- Use public transportation: These days, your options are wide open, from Lyft to Uber to calling a cab. If no one is sober enough to drive, make use of alternate transportation. Always exercise more caution than you think is necessary; a DUI is just not worth it. Here are some phone numbers of different taxi cab companies available in the area:
- SAX: (904) 800-6000
- Eco-Ride: (904) 827-7206
- Green Taxi: (904) 808-9995
- Combine alcohol with food: While a burger won't completely eliminate the effect of five beers, chowing down while you drink will slow the rate of alcohol absorption and can make you less susceptible to intoxication.
As we celebrate this monumental occasion, don't forget to do so safely. Police officers have little tolerance for drunk drivers and getting arrested can impact your entire life. If you do find yourself charged with a DUI, know that you are not alone. Our St. Augustine DUI attorneys at Taylor & Waldropcan prepare the aggressive defense you need, utilizing more than 40 years of legal experience to do so.
Get in touch with us today if you require a talented criminal defense team on your side.